||Dr. Mathias Falkenstein, CEO of the Higher Education Management Group, is a consultant, advisor and trainer for strategic development, quality management, international accreditation and internationalization in higher education with the specialization for business and management schools.
Mathias has been working with business school globally on transformation and institutional change with a focus on sustainability and responsibility, by deYning new roles for HEI’s and B-Schools in the 21st century. Mathias has been working in the Yeld of strategic development and internationalization of higher education for the past 20 years and he was the Director of Business School Services at the European Foundation Management Development (EFMD), BE. Previous, he was the Director of International Relations at IESEG School of Management, Paris – Lille, FR and for several years the Director of the International Summer University at the Free University in Berlin, DE. He started his career by working for the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in the North America HQ in New York, USA.
Mathias is a research fellow and post-doctoral graduate at the International Centre for Higher Education Management (ICHEM) at the School of Management, University of Bath, UK.
Mathias has longstanding affiliation and cooperation in different business school networks such as EFMD, AACSB, CEEMAN, PRME and the Globally Responsible Leadership Initiative (GRLI) and he is the immediate past-chair of EAIE’s Expert Community for Business Education. He is also an elected member of the General Council, the highest governing body of the EAIE. Mathias was a long-standing board member of the European Quality Link, a think tank and policy development organization in Europe for international business and management education, training, research and development. He is also the Chair of various International Advisory Boards, e.g.: LUISS Business School, LUISS University, Rome, Italy; Amsterdam International Business School, The Netherlands; Jyvaskyla University of Applied Science, School of Business, Finland. He lived, worked, and studied in South-East Asia, the US and Europe and currently is based with his family in Berlin, Germany.
||• Some client schools: Barcelona School of Management, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, ES; Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenia; LUISS Business School, LUISS University, Rome, IT; Amsterdam School of International Business, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, NL; ITMO University, St. Petersburg, RU; School of Business, JAMK University of Applied Science, Jyvaskyla, FI, Business School Lausanne, CH; Association of African Business Schools (AABS)
Doctor in Higher Education Management (DBA-HEM) and Research Fellow
Degree: Doctor in Higher Education Management (DBA-HEM)
University of Bath, School of Management, International Centre for Higher Education Management (ICHEM) Bath, United Kingdom
- Research in Higher Education Management, Key Areas: Responsible Management Education; Institutionalism, Ethics, Responsibility, Sustainability; Governance; Internationalisation
• Thesis: “The Development of Responsible Management Education in European Business Schools: Responses to the 2013 EQUIS Accreditation Standards”
• Elected Member of the General Council, the highest governing body of the European Association for International Education (EAIE)
• Immediate Past Chair European Association for International Education (EAIE) Business Education Expert Community
- Chair of the PRME Italy Chapter
- Task Force Member for the Development of a Sustainability Rating/Ranking based on the UN SDGs
• Member of the British Association for International and Comparative Education (BAICE)
• Member of the Academic Review Panel of the Journal of Studies in International Education (JSIE)
• GRLI Associate and member of the 1st Innovation Cohort, Globally Responsible Leadership Initiative (GRLI)
Outputs: Workshops, Panels, Seminars, Trainings (by invitation or selection)
• 21st-century business schools: how UN PRME is changing management education (workshop with J. Haertle and C. Giardenetti) 30th EAIE Conference, Geneva, September 2018
• How do you compare to marketing and communication departments worldwide? (keynote and panel with T. Jongma and D. Bakker), 30th EAIE Conference, Geneva, September 2018
• Effective leadership in internationalisation: Benchmarking and implementation, (workshop with Dr. F. Hunter), 30th EAIE Conference, Geneva, September 2018
• “Higher Education in times of anti-globalization”; Universal Access to Higher Education; Reinventing Higher Education Conference, IE University, Madrid, March 5/6, 2018
• Conference: The Contribution of Business Schools and Higher Education to Inclusive Development, Stellenbosch University, South Africa 19 & 20 April 2017
• Responsible Management Education between looking good vs. being good: What does it take to walk the talk?; 2016 EFMD Higher Education Research Conference, IESE Business School, University of Navarra, Barcelona, October 2016
• Responsible management education and business school accreditation (with O. Veligurska and C. Berthold), 28th Annual EAIE Conference, Liverpool, UK, September 2016.
• The what, why and how of international faculty development (with O. Veligurska and S. Mercado), 28th Annual EAIE Conference, Liverpool, UK, September 2016.
• The Development of Responsible Management Education in European Business Schools, The International Conference on Business, Policy and Sustainability,
Copenhagen Business School, Denmark, 16 – 17 of June 2016.
• The Development of Responsible Management Education in European Business Schools, PRME Conference on Sustainability and Business Models; Jönköping University, SE, May 10, 2016
• Internationalization in Business and Management Education: How to measure Quality and Impact? (with S. Hart and M. Osbaldeston), 27th Annual EAIE Conference, Glasgow, UK, September 2015.
• Positioning your business school for the future (with M.J. Albert-Batt & A. Crisp), 27th Annual EAIE Conference, Glasgow, UK, September 2015.
• Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability in Business and Management Schools: How to create impact with new accreditation standards? AACSB European A`nity Group Meeting, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, May, 2015
• Strategic Internationalisation for Business and Management Schools: A Quality Management and Network Perspective (with S. Mercado), AACSB Europe Annual Conference 2014, Grenoble, France, November 2014.
• Internationalisation Through International Networks (with M.J. Albert-Batt & S. Mercado), 26th Annual EAIE Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2014.
• Challenging Times for Higher Education Institutions: What can Universities learn from Business and Management Schools? (with T. Grange), 26th Annual EAIE Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2014.
• Strategic Partnerships in Management Education (with J. Leopold, M.J. Albert-Batt & S. Mercado), 25th Annual EAIE Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2013.
• International Strategic Partnering for Business Schools (with J. Leopold, M.J. Albert- Batt & S. Mercado), 22nd Annual EAIE Conference, Nantes, France, 15–18 September 2010